Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Deal with Tattoos and Piercings

This topic i have been thinking a lot about lately. So many people dismiss tattoos and piercings simply 'cause other people have told them that it's wrong. I'm not that type of girl. I don't like listening to other peoples opinions about certain matters unless they have proof in the Bible. I don't let them tell me something is wrong when they have absolutely no proof whatsoever that it is wrong. I study the Torah and live by that.

This is what brings me to tattoos and piercings. I'm mainly going to share my opinion on piercings but it seems like piercings and tattoos go hand-in-hand. When i got my nose pierced, my one friend was shocked and asked me, "Promise me you're not going to get a tattoo?"

I will start with tattoos since that's pretty simple and easy. I think they're wrong.

You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves: I am the LORD. (Leviticus 19:28) 

That pretty much sums it up. Permanent tattoos are wrong. I think Henna is ok since it washes off in about 3 weeks. 

But i see a lot of Christians actually thinking that tattoos are OK. They only follow the NT so that's understandable but whenever i walk past a tattoo parlor in the mall near us i stop and look at some of the pictures. It's crazy how so many people get tattoos of Christ on the cross or Hebrew. I find that really really strange.

But now i'm going to share my opinion on piercings.

I think piercings are alright. In fact, i love some piercings. I don't find anything in the Torah that speaks against piercings. Obviously you don't go crazy and get tongue, lip, cheek or any piercings in crazy spots. We're still the Temple of God but i think earrings and nose rings are ok. 

Nose rings because it's actually spoken of in the Bible. Rebekah got a nose ring when she became betrothed to Isaac. I think it was a tradition back then because some Middle Eastern cultures still practice it. You see the Indian women wearing a huge nose ring with a small chain attaching to their earring on their wedding day. 



 "I inquired of her, 'Whose daughter are you?'...And I put the ring on her nose and the bands on her arm" (Genesis 24:47).

God also talks about nose rings when it comes to adorning Israel:

"I decked you out in finery...I put a ring in your nose, and earrings in your ears..." (Ezekiel 16:11)

And when God speaks of punishing the women He says He will take away their nose jewels:

"In that day the Lord will take away ... The rings and nose jewels." (Isaiah 3:18-21)

Based on all these verses i see absolutely nothing wrong with nose rings. I currently don't have mine anymore because it was irritating me to no end. It kept falling out and snagging when i washed my face. It just really hurt.

I love earrings, though. I'm not a jewelry girl. I hate jewelry. I hate wearing bracelets and necklaces that don't mean something to me. I have a necklace with the Shema on and my ring that has God's name in Hebrew on it. 

My cartilage piercings.
At the moment i have 4 ear piercings and hope to get 3 more in the future. I have my first lobes which most people have. I got those pierced when i was 2 years old. A few months ago i doubled pierced my own ears. I have a high intensity to pain so piercing my own ear didn't hurt at all. I got an infection in my one .... twice so i took them out. But then i got my cartilage double pierced on my right ear. 

Example of a Triple Forward Helix
piercing.
Once my 2nd hole is healed i want to get my left ear forward helix triple pierced. 

I know a lot of people won't understand why i do this and they'll think it's immodest. But i don't see anything wrong with it according to God's Word. A lot of Christians quote the Leviticus verse above ^ but they clearly don't read the full verse. It says "FOR THE DEAD". 
Shiite Muslims actually self-mutilate themselves on the anniversary of Mohammed's grandson's death. Here's a link if you want to know more. Warning: Graphic images  Click Here

What these Muslims do is just plain demonic and this is what God was commanding us NOT to do. We should not honour the dead in any way. 

But as far as i can see, God does not speak against a jewel in an ear.

Comments?


No comments:

Post a Comment