Thursday, November 6, 2014

8 Months of Dreads

My dreads turn 8 months today. Nothing really new except i think that they have gotten longer. I really hope the shrinking and tightening stage is over so that they can start getting longer in length 'cause i want to take these extensions out but my hair is too short without them and i hate the look of short dreads!
They are getting very thick by the roots so that's good. And when i say thick i mean THICK. Maybe a little too thick.


I've added a few extra beads too. See those cream ones? Yeah. Thanks to my dog getting his claw stuck on my beaded bracelet and therefore breaking it i was able to use those beads on my hair. So it actually worked out, lol.
In this bottom picture you see the short piece sticking out? That's a piece without an extension. They're still lumpy too.


I find it amazing how people are interested by my appearance. It shows how many young girls have dreads ... not that many. So i guess when people see me with 'rasta' hair they're a bit surprised since the desired hair style is soft 'n silky. But I truly feel that dreads match my personality more. Even my mom said that when we saw an old picture of myself without dreads.
Some people ask me if i smoke weed and yeah, i guess that's the stigma that comes with having dreads but i'm not going to get rid of them because of that. When i meet people I let them know who i am and what i stand for to clear the air. 
I am a lot happier though. Despite people feeling the need to tell me i'm a 'heathen' and that i can't possibly be close to God because of a nose ring or a hairstyle. Those people don't bug me anymore. In the past when i was trying to fit in and be like everyone else i was miserable and very insecure but now that i'm doing what makes me happy and expressing myself and being more confident in who i am i find myself laughing more and being able to be more chatty with strangers which never happened before. A lot of people notice a difference. When i meet new people some of them tell me how they like the fact that i'm different one guy told me that he doesn't understand why so many people are afraid of different.. I'm a 'free spirit' (in their own words) and i'm 'down to earth'. I like that. And since there are people out there who like me for me, it makes me happy.

I'm not a freak, i'm not a 'heathen'. I am a simple 18 (19 in 7 days yeah yeah) year old girl trying to figure things out. If i make mistakes don't judge me. Life is about learning and you won't get it right the first time. I refuse to follow a safe formula carved out by millions of others. 

I'm still healing from my past. You don't know what my eyes have seen, what my heart has felt or what my mind has thought. You don't know what my life is like that makes me do what i do. 

So when you see this face: put away judgmental and self-righteous attitudes. I may not be the perfect image of what a 'pure', 'set-apart' follower of YHVH looks like but i'm trying my utmost best to bring glory to God in my life and to care for people around me. Why don't you look past the hair, the piercings and the clothes and look at who i am underneath? Can you try that? Just maybe? 



No comments:

Post a Comment