Thursday, September 11, 2014

Shopping/Wish List Part 4/7: Get Inked

I know that there are a lot of views out there on tattoos, whether they're right or wrong. Believe me, i've done my studying and research and yes, i've prayed about it. You can check out my post Judging on a brief overview of my views on tattoos. To put it short here, tattoos aren't a weighty matter of Torah. The weightier matters of Torah are all about helping the needy and treating your fellow man with respect and love. Me having some ink on my arms doesn't change my heart towards God or His Torah, or my desire to practice righteousness and justice.
I'm not going to explain myself too much here. If you have questions then you can e-mail me or message me on Facebook. Too many times in the past i've felt like i've needed to explain myself to people when i was doing something different or 'bad' in their eyes, i'm not doing that anymore.

I want a tattoo and i'm getting a tattoo. If you don't like that that's fine, each to his own. You have your opinions and i have mine and people's opinions about myself don't bug me as much as they used to. Believe me, i still question myself everyday on this season of discovery in my life where i'm questioning the things i've been told and discovering who i am after many years of trying to be like someone else.
I just happen to be the kind of girl that likes colour, dreadlocks, piercings and tattoos. But just because i think that piercings and tattoos are OK does not mean that going and covering yourself in metal and ink is alright. We represent God and things have to be done tastefully.

Moving on to what i plan on getting ... I'm probably only going to get my first tattoo on my 19th birthday in 2 months time. At this point i'm only planning on getting 3 and that's probably it. 99.9% sure that that's it. Maybe later, one day, my mom will be adventurous with me and we can get mother-daughter tattoos, or maybe when i get married one day i will get something done on my ring finger. But those are only thoughts and dreams right now.

The 3 that i want right now will all be on my left forearm. I don't want anything on my right arm for personal reasons.
I'm planning on getting some henna/bohemian flower design on my left wrist. Not for any meaning, just because i love the look.
A design like this 


The more intricate ones. My favourite right now is the one on the bottom right corner and the top middle one. But there's lots of different designs out there so i have to choose wisely. I love the look of the mandala but i think it has some eastern pagan meaning so that's a huge no go.

I also like how this looks but it's a bit too vintage for me. I like more henna looking designs.


At the bottom of the flower i'd like this Hebrew word tattooed, but nice and small, not this big.
The word is Chesed and it has such a beautiful meaning to it. The word means a lot to me as a few weeks ago God was teaching me a lot of lessons that tie up with this word.

I wouldn't have the vowels tattooed.

The next one was inspired a bit by the photographer, Rania Maria. I found her when i was researching dreads. I loved how she tattooed a quote on her arm that goes all the way around so that it looks like a bracelet.

The scripture verse in Joshua "Be strong and courageous" means a lot to me too. Eric Ludy calls it the ancient war cry. In Hebrew it's Chazak V'Ematz. I wanted the Hebrew tattooed on me but when i tested out the bracelet look (with the verse in English) i liked it a lot more and i can have more of that verse tattooed on me, like: "Be Strong and Courageous, Fear Not, For Adonai Is With You". I know that that's not the full verse but it's all that can fit on my arm.


Another example.


I know that maybe you guys can't picture all of this together but i have the image in my mind but it'll probably change as it's changed a lot the past few months. It's permanently being put on my body so i have to make sure it's perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment